We pledge to create an open environment where mental health is supported, and people can bring their full selves to work.
Cocoon is proud to join the pledge. Along with other forward-thinking businesses, big and small, we are recognising the importance of employees looking after their health – mental and physical. This pledge is a signal to our team, partners and the public that Cocoon believes workplaces should be safe and inclusive environments for mental health.
Thank you to the Sanctus team for working tirelessly to change the perception of mental health and creating the Mental Health Pledge.
What is The Mental Health Pledge?
The Mental Health Pledge is a commitment by Cocoon to try to be a part of the change we want to see. It signals an attitude and way of working that is supportive. Encouraging our team to talk openly about their health and empowering them to bring their full selves to work.
The ten principles of the Mental Health Pledge are:
- We commit to raise awareness and education of mental health within the workplace. Therefore, striving to create an open and empathetic environment where conversations around mental health are supported and accepted by all members of staff.
- We will communicate the importance of this pledge and the company’s stance towards mental health throughout all levels within the business, including the c-suite and senior management.
- We will ensure everyone is given adequate space to understand and determine their mental health needs. This may be through basic signposting, time-off, verbal support and/or paid-for internal resources.
- We intend to fully take into account individual mental health circumstances when making business decisions whenever possible.
- We acknowledge that in 1:1 conversations it’s appropriate to discuss not only business performance but overall well-being too.
- We consider activities that are beneficial for mental health (such as yoga, meditation or coaching) equally on the cultural/wellbeing agenda alongside activities for other areas of well-being (such as sports teams etc).
- We will make a considered effort to promote the company’s policy or offerings towards mental health to our employees.
- We promise to ensure that if we’re providing health insurance for the team, it will have adequate provisions for mental health support.
- We confirm that having a historic mental health problem, issue or illness will not be a barrier to career progression or development within the organisation.
- We agree to treat mental health days equally to physical sick days. Therefore, sickness absence refers to any and all absence related to mental and/or physical incapacity to work.
Why is Cocoon committing to the Mental Health Pledge?
We believe that mental health is just as important as physical health. An open and empathetic approach to mental health in the workplace should be the standard, not the exception. Yet one-third of all sick notes written by NHS doctors are for mental health. We don’t want our team to get to the point where this feels like the only option to help with their wellbeing. Instead, we want them to know that we are here to support them.
That is why Cocoon has signed the Mental Health Pledge. It signals our commitment to creating an open environment where mental health is supported, and people can bring their full selves to work.
Cocoon proudly joins the likes of Red Bull, Prince’s Trust, Virgin Trains, and Transferwise in signing the pledge. Corporations, charities and fellow tech startups are taking steps to change the way we think about mental health at work. Could you do the same?